SIP trunking is becoming the new business communication standard. From small businesses to large corporations, everyone can use SIP trunks to generate better and more reliable communication channels. So, how can your business benefit from this service and why should you consider investing in it? Here we will cover everything you need to know about how business SIP trunking works and how it can revolutionize the way your business communicates.
SIP Trunking: The Basics
Before Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) technology, phone calls were carried out through public switched network (PSTN) only. Such a network requires tangible, physical connections between two points to make and answer calls and to connect two parties. SIP, however, uses virtual phone lines instead. This gives users the ability to place calls over the internet to anyone located anywhere in the world.
How Does SIP Trunking Work?
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) sends or transmits voice, video, and unified communications over an internet connection. SIP trunks break down voice signals into digital packets and then transmits these packets to a destination. This is called a packet switch network.
A SIP trunk can hold multiple SIP channels. Each channel is equal to one inbound or outbound call. Having multiple SIP channels means that users can make and answer multiple calls at a time through just one SIP trunk. They will not need to invest in more than one phone line.
SIP technology will work alongside your office’s IP-enabled PBX system and will replace traditional phone lines. Doing so, it can convert your office phone system into one that can effectively support internal as well as external communication.
SIP versus VoIP
Although SIP and VoIP terminology are often used interchangeably, they are not exactly the same. It is true, however, that both types of technology help businesses make and answer calls over the internet. But how can you distinguish between the two?
Voice over IP achieves the most basic virtual communication feature. That is, it uses the internet to digitally transmit voice to a destination. For the most part, VoIP is limited to voice transmissions. VoIP providers often allot unlimited minutes with certain plans to ensure you get the most of the service.
SIP, on the other hand, builds off of VoIP to provide and manage multimedia communication such as voice and video. In other words, it defines messages transmitted between two parties. And so, SIP enables video messaging, conferencing, text messaging, and file-sharing. With global SIP trunking, you benefit from an all-inclusive business phone solution. With SIP and VoIP working together, your business will benefit from cost-savings and increase productivity and efficiency.
Related: Hosted PBX versus SIP Trunking
Advantages of Using SIP for Business
So, why are more and more businesses paying attention to SIP and voice over IP technology to improve communications? It is because along with better internal and external communication models, these systems come cheaper and with various telephony features. Here are some reasons to use SIP for business:
1. Affordability and Flexibility — Since SIP calls are routed over the internet and not traditional phone lines, your business can make calls to anyone in the world. You are not limited to local calls only. And so, your business has the opportunity to connect with long-distance and international customers without paying high international fees. Instead, you will pay what you subscribe to with your SIP provider.
2. Unlimited SIP Channels — A SIP trunk holds an unlimited number of SIP channels. This makes it so that your business needs only one trunk, irrespective of how many calls occur simultaneously. How many channels your business could use will depend on your calling needs and logs.
3. Access to Advanced Communication Features — SIP will boost your office communication system by giving you access to more virtual communication features such as video conferencing, SMS (instant messaging), voicemail, call management, and more. These features and services will strengthen your office communication system so that you can provide better service to your customers and contacts.
4. All Communication in One Place — Lastly, business SIP trunking enables you to handle and manage all your communication needs in one place. You won’t need to subscribe to additional services or programs. This, too, helps you save time and money. CCaaS and SIP trunking work hand-in-hand to provide you with a full-fledged business communication system.
What is Elastic SIP Trunking?
Elastic SIP trunking is an advanced form of standard SIP trunking. Elastic trunking uses cloud-based virtual solutions to create a more flexible and reliable business phone system. Since this type of business SIP trunking works over the cloud, it is much easier to integrate with other cloud communication services. As such, you can create a unified communication system for your business that is easily accessible and mobile.
How Does Elastic SIP Trunking Work?
A SIP trunk can carry multiple SIP channels where each channel is an inbound or outbound call. In standard SIP trunking, the SIP trunk connects IP channels to a PSTN or VoIP system. This allows for multiple calls to occur simultaneously. With this, your business can easily place calls to customers and other businesses as and when needed.
Elastic SIP trunking takes this to another level by adding advanced features that traditional trunks lack. With elastic trunking, you can use more virtual communication tools such as virtual phone numbers (toll free, local, vanity numbers, etc.), DID numbers, call forwarding, and more.
How Much Does SIP Trunking Cost?
Every SIP provider’s pricing will differ depending on what they offer and how much or what services you need. The price for global SIP trunking depends on a variety of factors such as:
- The type of subscription — monthly or annually; per user or per account.
- Outbound calling rates — whether using a metered or unmetered plan.
- Add-ons — additional services and features, usually advanced.
- Set-up fees, if any — additional equipment and/ or installation fees.
Here is a guide to United World Telecom’s SIP trunking prices:
1. Monthly Subscription
Customers subscribe to a monthly subscription for their phone numbers. This number will be used as their caller ID for outbound calls. They can add more numbers if desired. Our US phone numbers start at $7.95 per month. Subscribers can even opt to buy a monthly call credit for $25.
2. Outbound / International Calling Rates
Our call rates are metered, which entails a monthly fee plus a per-minute charge for outbound calls. Each country has a different calling rate.
Outbound Call Recording can be purchased for $5 monthly, plus 3¢ per minute. Outbound calling makes it easier to make international and long-distance calls. Use this service to increase comfort, convenience, and security when connecting with customers.
4. Set-up Fees
No set-up fees or long-term contracts. United World Telecom does not charge our customers any additional set-up or installation fees. We also not believe in locking our customers in long-term contracts. If you are unhappy with our service, we will work together with you to create a solution that works best for your business.
How to Get SIP trunking?
Your business can take advantage of this telecom solution by signing up with United World Telecom. Our SIP trunk prices start at $32.95 for 10 channels (default) and each trunk comes with included monthly minutes. However, you can get custom pricing larger orders. To get a clear idea of how much business SIP trunking for a particular country would cost, check out our SIP trunk pricing page or call us for custom quotes!
We make it quick and easy for you to get SIP trunking with these options:
- Sign up online and buy SIP trunks through our website.
- Call us and speak with our experts. You can get custom plans that match your specific needs.
- Fill out our contact form and request a demo.
Is SIP Trunking Technology Right for Your Business?
If business SIP trunking is something your business needs, then it is in your best interest to invest in this technology now. You can start by signing up for a virtual phone number plan with United World Telecom. Then build your SIP system by adding premium features and services. For more information about how to get started, call us to speak with an expert.